Idyllic Spa with Historic Park
The spa town of Bad Suderode is located about 7 km south of Quedlinburg’s centre. The spa architecture, the calcium spring and the immediate proximity to the Harz make this place so special. The Selketalbahn, the Selketal-Stieg or a cycle path form the ideal connection between the World Heritage City of Quedlinburg and its district.
Yesterday and Today
As early as the 12th century, the convent ladies of the Quedlinburg monastery moved here to clear the forest and found a place. The decisive factor was the exceptionally mild climate on the edge of the Harz. Today, the town is largely characterised by a largely closed ensemble of Wilhelminian houses in the so-called Bad Suderode Guesthouse Style. The verandas and balconies with filigree ornaments are mostly listed as monuments.
The first bathing facilities were available in Bad Suderode as early as 1829. At the moment these are unfortunately not given, because the spa center is to be rebuilt. The planning is not yet complete. The oldest health resort in the Harz, however, owes its good reputation to its healing spring. With approximately 2,500 milligrams of calcium per litre, the Behringer Brunnen is one of the strongest sources of calcium in Europe.
Hikes and Walks
Bad Suderode entices its guests with nordic walking or hiking on the 245 kilometres of signposted trails. Wonderful is a walk through the spa park with old trees, a Kneipp facility and the Magic Garden Of Rocks. Exhibitions, readings and concerts are held regularly in the Old Church. The accommodation offer is also very diverse – from the small pension to the 4-star hotel, from the apartment to the rehabilitation clinic. In addition to good cuisine, many also offer spa and wellness treatments in their own house.
Old Church Bad Suderode
Unfortunately, the history of this small and beautiful church can only be reconstructed fragmentarily from later traditions. Suderode is mentioned for the first time in the document issued by Pope Alexander III in 1179. While the apse and the massive tower of the Old Church are unmistakable Romanesque, the small pillars of the sound holes even have an Ottonian character.