Artist: sculptor Richard Anders
Location: entry Brühlpark (east entry in front of the waterworks)
Description: The monument commemorates the mayor of Quedlinburg and honorary citizen Heinrich Gustav Brecht. Born as the son of a pastor in 1830 in Groß Quenstedt, Brecht studied law at the University of Halle. He took part in the revolution of 1849/49 and became a member of the Fürstenthal Halle Burschenschaft in 1849. From 1860 he was mayor of the city of Quedlinburg, was elected higher mayor during his term of office and held this office until his death. He died in 1905 in Quedlinburg.
The following achievements are attributed to Gustav Brecht:
- Installation of the drinking water pipeline with waterworks
- Development of a new district, the Süderstadt
- Construction of a sewage and rainwater drainage with sewage treatment plant
- Construction of gas station with supply lines
- In 1874, the villa at Adelheidstraße 29 in Quedlinburg was built for him.